Dwarf Nigerian Goats

Dwarf Nigerian Goats

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Transfer to the coop

I haven't written in a while because I spend most of my free time out by the coop watching the birds.  The day we moved them, I worried about how they would adjust.  We moved half the brooder (dog crate!) into the house, and then carried them 6 or 7 at a time in 2 cat carriers, making 3 trips.  They all stepped out of the carriers without a glance back.

Here is the coop, before and after staining.


 
 And here are the peeps settled in


The half crate remains in the coop; the rhode island reds like to perch on the sides, and they are the shyest at this point.  I hate to disrupt their comfort level.  When we finish the run, out goes the crate.

Removing them from the house left me with mixed feelings.  On one hand, I don't miss the mess, occasional smell  just before changing the shavings, and worry about the cats sneaking in the stubborn screen door.  On the other hand, I miss seeing them all settled in, roosting on the side of the crate, small contented chirps from a few of the late night peepers.

The first night in coop, I didn't sleep very well.  I went out about 9:00pm and they were squabbling around the light I had placed in the corner.  I moved it to the center nesting box and they settled right down.  Proximity to the light means high on the pecking order, I assume.  The next night, all were up in the roost.  Subsequent nights they split half on one side and half on the other.  

 
Here they are, unsettled by my stepping up on the pop door ledge to take this photo.  This is the second night out.



Having them next to the garden means that I weed frequently.  They love the scraps and dirt I pull up.  I hate to weed, but this bonus means my garden will benefit from the treat.

Anne at Echo Mountain View Road chickens